Within the realm of E. coli expression, the T7 system is the most popular approach for producing proteins. In this system, an expression vector containing a gene of interest cloned downstream of the T7 promoter is introduced into a T7 expression host. T7 expression hosts such as DE3 strains or T7 Express strains carry a chromosomal copy of the phage T7 RNA polymerase gene. When inducer is added, T7 RNA polymerase is expressed and becomes dedicated to transcription of the gene of interest.
- 5 Minute Transformation (C2523)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C2527)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C2528)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C2529)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C2530)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C2566)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C3010)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C3013)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C3026)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C3028)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C3029)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C3030)
- 5 Minute Transformation Protocol (C3037)
- Expression Using SHuffle (C3026)
- Expression Using SHuffle (C3028)
- Expression Using SHuffle (C3029)
- Expression Using SHuffle (C3030)
- Expression Using NEB Express (C2523)
- Protocol for Expression Using NEB Express Iq (C3037)
- Protocol for Expression Using T7 Express (C2566)
- Protocol for Expression Using T7 Express lysY (C3010)
- Protocol for Expression Using T7 Express lysY/Iq (C3013)
- Protocol for Protein Expression Using BL21 (C2530)
- Protein Expression with T7 Express strains
- Protein Expression Using Lemo21(DE3) (C2528)
- Protein Expression Using BL21(DE3) (C2527)
- Protein Expression Using NiCo21(DE3) (C2529)
Over 40 years in protein expression and purification – a historical perspective
This article provides an overview of the advances in protein expression and purification methodology over the past 40 years.
- Agrawal, A., Bisharyan, Y., Papoyan, A, Bednenko, J., Cardarelli, J., Yao, M., Clark, T., Berkmen, M., Ke, N., Colussi, P. 2019. Fusion to Tetrahymena thermophila granule lattice protein 1 confers solubility to sexual stage malaria antigens in Escherichia coli. Protein Expr Purif. 153, PubMedID: 30081196, DOI: 10.1016/j.pep.2018.08.001.
- Leith, E.M., O'Dell, W.B., Ke, N., McClung, C., Berkmen, M., Bergonzo, C., Brinson, R.G., Kelman, Z 2019. Characterization of the internal translation initiation region in monoclonal antibodies expressed in Escherichia coli J Biol Chem. 294(48), PubMedID: 31604819, DOI: 10.1074/jbc.RA119.011008
- Reddy, P.T., Brinson, R.G., Hoopes, J.T., McClung, C., Ke, N., Kashi, L. 2018. Platform development for expression and purification of stable isotope labeled monoclonal antibodies in Escherichia coli. mAbs MAbs. 10 (7), PubMedID: 30060704, DOI: 10.1080/19420862.2018.1496879
- Ke, Na; Berkmen, Mehmet; Ren, Guoping; 2017. A water-soluble DsbB variant that catalyzes disulfide-bond formation in vivo Nat Chem Biol. 13, PubMedID: 28628094, DOI: 10.1038/nchembio.2409
- Ren, G., Ke, N. and Berkmen, M. 2016. Use of the Shuffle Strains in Production of Proteins. Curr Protoc Protein Sci. Aug 1, PubMedID: 27479507 , DOI: 10.1002/cpps.11.
- Robinson, M.-P., Ke, N., Lobstein, J., Peterson, C., Szkodny, A., Mansell, T.J., Tuckey, C., Riggs, P.D., Colussi, P.A., Noren, C.J., Taron, C.H., Delisa, M.P., Berkmen, M. 2015. Efficient expression of full-length antibodies in the cytoplasm of engineered bacteria Nat Commun. (6)8072, PubMedID: , DOI: 10.1038/ncomms9072.
- Hemmis, C.W., Berkmen, M., Eser, M.and Schildbach, J.F. 2011. TrbB from conjugative plasmid F is a structurally distinct disulfide isomerase that requires DsbD for redox state maintenance. J Bacteriol. 193(18), PubMedID: 21742866, DOI: 10.1128/JB.00351-11
- Shouldice, S.R., Cho, S.H., Boyd, D., Heras, B., Eser, M., Beckwith, J., Riggs, P., Martin, J.L.and Berkmen, M. 2010. In vivo oxidative protein folding can be facilitated by oxidation-reduction cycling. Mol Microbiol. 75(1), PubMedID: 19968787, DOI:
- Manta, Bruno; Berkmen, Mehmet; . Disulfide Bond Formation in the Periplasm of Escherichia coli EcoSal Plus. , PubMedID: , DOI: 10.1128/ecosalplus.ESP-0012-2018.
E. coli Hosts
This product is covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc (NEB).
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at [email protected].
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
NEB has a long history in recombinant protein expression and has developed a wide array of solutions for proteins that are difficult to express.